License #: 10311201276
Licensed in New York, Colorado, Montana
Daniel Christmas launched Christmas & Associates in 1989 in Tupper Lake, NY as a land company providing environmentally sensitive recreational lands throughout the Adirondack and Tug Hill regions. Dan’s dream was to build a land company that would make the beautiful woodlands of New York available to middle income people. The company model was based on a commitment to outstanding ethics, a great work atmosphere and most importantly, a company that would offer customers full guarantees on all lands purchased.
Christmas & Associates eventually grew the business beyond New York to include operations in Colorado, New Mexico and Montana and over the past 25 years has processed over 4,000 land transactions in four states. In 1998, Dan created Christmas Forestry & Farm to acquire and manage longterm forestry and wildlife assets. The company continues regular forestry and land use consulting work in the Adirondacks and in the Tug Hill Plateau, managing tracts between 300 to 25,000 acres over the last 25 years.
In addition to land sales, Dan added small, low impact cabin construction to the company’s list of services. To date, Christmas & Associates has built over 450 camps for customers. Through his experiences at land planning and construction in New York and out west, Dan has gained extensive knowledge in forestry, land use planning, road building, cabin construction and logging. Business skills and expertise include years of knowledge in finance, budgeting, banking, managing multiple organizations, as well as “hands-on” work on construction sites and in the woods.
In 2007, Dan established The Camp Store as a one-stop-shop for customers to outfit rustic camps. In 2012, Dan at the advice of his staff took the concept online by launching an online store called CampFitters.com, which sells wares created by Adirondack craftspeople and other camp gear and locally-made décor throughout the country.
From 1981 to 1988, Dan worked for several Adirondack companies in land acquisitions, forestry and guiding. Dan’s first position after college was as an Adirondack hunting and fishing guide and forester at Bay Pond for the Rockefeller family.
Additional Relevant Experience
- Licensed real estate broker in New York, Colorado and Montana
- Forestry and land use consultant for both public and private initiatives in New York and Colorado
- Forestry industry advisory for Governors Pataki and Cuomo
- Appointed advisor to Governor Cuomo’s Commission on the Adirondacks in the 21st Century
- Advisor to county legislators, senators and assemblymen and women on various Adirondack issues
- Speaker on environmental and economic issues for Paul Smith's College, the New York Environmental Law Board, St. Lawrence University, the Adirondack Museum, the New York Conservation Council and the Empire State Forest Products Association
- Advisor and contributor to the construction of The Wild Center in Tupper Lake, NY
- Member of Tupper Lake Planning Board for 7 years
- Pro bono services to the New York DEC Division of Lands and Forests, The Nature Conservancy, the Tug Hill Land Trust and a variety of sportsmen’s and conservation groups
- Consulting work for negotiation and sale of Champion International lands to New York State
- Current co-founder of Imagine Greater Camden, a non-profit 501C3 corporation created by a small group of creative entrepreneurs to further the growth and betterment of the Camden community
- Current board member, Friends of Forest Park, an Oneida County forest preserve in Camden, NY
- Past board member, Adirondack Scenic Railway Preservation Society
- Current and past contributor to local causes, both in Tupper Lake, Camden, and the upstate New York region including community and school events and music and art programs
- 18 years of coaching football at high school and youth levels
- Paul Smith’s College: Graduated with honors in 1981 with a degree in Forestry
- Camden High School: Graduated in 1978
Dan is a native of Camden NY where he has built a life and career based on his love of family, his commitment to his community and his fondness for the woods. In addition to his 125 acre farm in Oneida County, Dan currently owns and manages several hundred acres of forest lands in Franklin, Hamilton and Oneida Counties.
Dan is the father of six children, three step-children and ten grandchildren. His hobbies and interests include spending quality time with family at his camps in Tupper Lake and Long Lake, hiking, paddling, skiing, snowboarding, hunting, fishing and many other adventures.